What is a sustainable city? What can cities do to reduce their carbon footprints while expanding transit networks and economic growth? In 2017, TheCityFix addressed some of the most burning questions in urban development, informing city leaders and decision-makers on what it means to create sustainable, equitable, thriving cities for all.
Nearly 100 thought leaders and city experts, from within WRI and without, contributed their ideas to the blog in 2017, shaping the global discourse on how cities can take the lead in making the world a better place. This diversity of voices informs our widespread global impact and reflects how important collaboration is to success in this space.
Our top 10 blogs from 2017 feature experts and thought leaders from around the world ringing true the importance of efficient and safe transport, accessible public spaces, evidence-based policy and active involvement in the urban landscape:
10. 5 Key Lessons from 10 Cities at Transforming Transportation 2017, Anna Bray Sharpin, Ben Welle, Claudia Adriazola-Steil, Subha Ranjan Banerjee
9. The Need for Safe Speeds: 4 Surprising Ways Slower Driving Creates Better Cities, Anna Bray Sharpin, Ben Welle, Claudia Adriazola-Steil, Subha Ranjan Banerjee
8. Amazon’s Challenge Shows Importance of Good Transit for Cities, Paul A. Laudicina
6. Urban Trees: A Smart Investment in Public Health, Robert McDonald
5. What About the People? Unlocking the Key to Socially Sustainable and Resilient Communities, Robin King, Cathy Baldwin
4. Fortaleza and São Paulo Experiment with Street Transformations, Bruno Felin
3. Do Bus Rapid Transit Systems Improve Equity? A Look at the Evidence, Dario Hidalgo
2. Public Spaces: 10 Principles for Connecting People and the Streets, Priscila Pacheco
1. Are Trains Better Than Bus Rapid Transit Systems? A Look at the Evidence, Dario Hidalgo
Thank you to our many excellent contributors for a great 2017! We look forward to expanding our impact and working with you in the year to come.
Talia Rubnitz is the Editor of TheCityFix and Communications Assistant at WRI Ross Center for Sustainable Cities.