Levi Strauss & Co., creator of Levi’s brand of denim jeans, designed a new product, optimized specifically for the needs of the urban commuter cyclist. The “Commuter” series of jeans by Levi’s features fabric and construction upgrades that increase mobility and durability, all while protecting cyclists from potential hazards of their daily commute, the product’s website explains.
The jeans come in a full-length and cropped version in denim and non-denim fabrics. The product also integrates an array of features that address cyclists’ performance, convenience, safety, mobility and protection needs, the website explains:
- Utility waist band – specially designed for u-lock storage
- Higher back rise – providing additional coverage when riding
- Nanosphere® Technology – applied to make fabric water resistant, dirt repellant, durable and protective
- 3M Reflectivity – 3M Scotchlite™ Reflective Tape on interior cuff offers high level of visibility
- Sanitized™ Brand Technology – antimicrobial protection against odors
- Reinforced Fabric – in crotch, back pockets and belt loop for durability
- Performance Stretch Fabric – more stretchable for added mobility and comfort
Most notably, the denim company partnered with Swiss-based Schoeller Technologies, which specializes in the development of treatment processes for textiles that achieves water, dirt and stain resistance to give the product Nanosphere® Technology. The Commuter jeans also provides antimicrobial protection against odors and uses reflective material in key areas of the garment for night-riders.
“This product was born from innovation and classic American style – it’s about designing product for people who ride bikes, by people who ride bikes,” explained the Erik Joule, Levi’s senior vice-president of men’s merchandising and design. “We knew that our jeans were already being worn by urban cyclists across the country. We listened to what they wanted and created a product with performance traits for biking that also functions as daily street wear.”
Unfortunately, the Commuter jeans are currently only available for men. The products can be purchased online and at select independent bike shops in major metro cities, as well as Levi’s Retail Stores and Urban Outfitters. Prices vary between US$68 and US$128 for different styles.
Learn more about the product here.