Think you have what it takes to be a full-time blogger for TheCityFix? Apply to be our summer intern!
If you can’t commit to a paid position in our Washington, D.C. office, please consider being a volunteer contributor.
EMBARQ (the producer of this blog) is looking for a full-time intern blogger (40 hours/week) to write for TheCityFix.com, an online resource for sustainable transport news, advocacy and best practice solutions from around the world.
Available to start as early as April 30, the position is located in EMBARQ’s Washington, D.C. office and pays $12 per hour, plus the opportunity to share your writing and research with sustainable transport advocates and experts from around the world. The position is a three-month commitment, with the option to extend for the right candidate. Position open until filled.
- Research, write and edit blog posts for TheCityFix.com
- Recruit volunteer writers
- Attend and cover live events, such as city council meetings, neighborhood association meetings, lectures, panel discussions, conferences, etc.
- Regularly interview experts in sustainable transport and urban planning
- Help expand traditional and social media outreach
- Help implement search engine optimization and online visibility strategy
- Write content for EMBARQ’s website, monthly newsletter and press releases, as needed
- Assist EMBARQ’s Information and Innovation (I+I) team with day-to-day administrative or research tasks
- Excellent writing skills; produces clean copy quickly and under tight deadlines
- Professional experience in blogging, journalism and online communications
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in communications, journalism, environmental studies, urban planning, transport engineering or other related field
- Knowledge of Associated Press (AP) Stylebook guidelines for newswriting
- Ability to work independently with little supervision
- Enthusiasm for online social networking and community outreach
- Strong social media presence, especially on Twitter and Facebook
- Ability to learn new software and systems quickly
- Attention to detail and highly organized
- Demonstrated interest in and knowledge of transportation, urban planning or environmental sustainability
- Proficient with WordPress and basic HTML
- Experience working with international or multi-cultural teams
- Native English speaker; fluency in Spanish, Portuguese or Turkish, a plus
- Experience working abroad, a plus
How to Apply:
Please send cover letter addressed to Managing Editor Erica Schlaikjer and resume/CV, plus links to your writing samples via our online application system by clicking here. Selected candidates will be invited for an in-person interview and writing test.