Are you passionate about creating sustainable, thriving cities? Do you have the skills to translate complex, technical material into compelling content for an engaged online community? Do you want to work for a top-tier environment and global development research organization?
TheCityFix, an online network dedicated to advancing the conversation on sustainable cities and urban mobility, is now accepting applications for a Communications Intern in its Washington, DC office. TheCityFix is produced by WRI Ross Center for Sustainable Cities, a global program working to improve quality of life for millions of people around the world.
Read on for more information, or apply today.
About the Job
WRI Ross Center for Sustainable Cities is seeking a creative professional to assist its Marketing and Communications team in generating content for TheCityFix.com blog and WRICities.org news section, as well as monthly email newsletters. This internship is ideal for recent graduates or early-career professionals in communications, marketing, public relations, environmental studies, urban studies, English, liberal arts, or related studies. You will get real world experience in a fast-paced environment. Internships may vary in length depending on your schedule, interest, and abilities.
WRI Ross Center for Sustainable Cities integrates WRI’s global analysis and builds on its on-the-ground experience in urban planning, sustainable transport, energy, climate change, water management, and governance. The Center galvanizes action that will help cities grow more sustainably and improve quality of life in developing countries around the world. It operates through a global network of offices in Brazil, China, India, Mexico, Turkey, and Washington, DC where this internship will be located.
The intern will gain experience in the following areas:
- 70% Edit, write, and publish online as support to experts
- 15% Research news stories, blogs, new initiatives and trends, interact with and assist WRI experts in promoting their work
- 10% Email marketing
- 5% Organize content on websites, databases, social media
- Recent graduate or early-career professional with a degree in communications, marketing, public relations, urban studies, environmental studies, English, liberal arts, or related studies
- Interest in sustainability marketing and communications
- Excellent written communication skills
- Capable of meeting tight deadlines on a regular basis, and organizing an editorial calendar
- Strong editing/interviewing/note-taking skills
- Expert knowledge of MS Word
- Extremely well organized
- Strong research ability
- Ability to learn new technologies and online platforms for publishing quickly
- Taste for graphic design
- Experiencing writing and editing content for a daily online publisher
- Knowledge of photo editing software
- Experience with Drupal 7, WordPress, and Vertical Response
- Experience in developing marketing materials, working with videos, podcasting, blogs, web content management, graphics and email systems
- Basic knowledge of HTML
- Proficiency in Spanish, Portuguese, Turkish, and/or Mandarin Chinese a plus
Final candidates will be required to take a writing test.
Salary: This is a paid intern position with an hourly rate based on experience.
Duration: 6 months, starting immediately
Location: Washington, DC
Qualified applicants should apply online at www.wri.org/careers. All applications must be submitted online through this career portal in order to be formally considered.
The World Resources Institute is a global research organization that goes beyond research to put ideas into action. We work with governments, companies, and civil society to build solutions to urgent environmental challenges. WRI’s transformative ideas protect the earth and promote development because sustainability is essential to meeting human needs and fulfilling human aspirations in the future.
Established in 1982, WRI is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization respected globally by policymakers, NGOs, and corporate leaders because of the rigorous quality, balance, and independence of its work. With its think-tank roots, WRI values innovative ideas, working collaboratively, and thinking independently. WRI employees see the results of their hard work and have the satisfaction of making a significant difference in the world.
Currently a $50 million organization with an international staff of approximately 350, WRI has offices in the U.S., China, India, Brazil and more, and active projects in more than 50 countries. WRI provides objective information and practical proposals for policy and institutional change that foster environmentally sound, socially equitable development.